Ever thought about the noise in your life?
In today’s world we are surrounded with noise. We awaken to the jolting sound of an alarm. We have our iPods, our iPhones, our iThis and our iThat. We even sleep with white noise in the background.
We’ve become addicted to noise. It’s unsettling to be in a quiet place wherein the loudest sound is your own breathing.
Constant noise can dull our senses. It can prevent us from hearing the still small voice within us—that inner voice that is able to give direction and correction when we most need it.
In our noise polluted world, it’s easy to lose our focus. Our true desires are drowned out by the noisy sounds all around us. We become tired and agitated if the noise is unceasing.
Yet, we do not live in a vacuum. Even if we go live in the woods like Thoreau, we are going to be surrounded by some noise.
We’ve all been in restaurants where the background music was too loud making it impossible to carry on a conversation. Yet, if background music is a reasonable volume, by focusing on the other person, the background noise disappears.
If we want to build a business, it’s definitely going to require Focus. That means there must be awareness as to the level of noise in your life. When you’re Laser Focused, you may be able to withstand some noise and still remain on course. Only you can decide how much noise is too much.
When you are seeking to hear the still small voice of God, here are some things that will help.
- Spend time daily in quiet. Maybe you’ll have to go sit in your car alone or lock yourself in the bathroom. Spending time in nature, without technology, brings fresh perspective and renewed energy.
- Be prepared for System Shock. It’s not natural for us to experience total quiet. Start out with 5 minutes (it’ll seem like forever) and gradually increase it.
- Start out reading something that inspires you. For me that would be Scripture or maybe the words to a favorite hymn. Then allow your mind to go into neutral. Think of it as a little vacation from noise. Just be in the moment and don’t over-analyze. Just be in a receiving state.
- Stop talking. (You’re kidding, right?) Start listening. Listening without an agenda is a great skill to master. If you’re really serious about having less noise in your life, start listening more and talking less.
- Expect amazing ideas to come to you when you least expect it. These ideas may or may not come to you during your quiet time.
Creating a Noise Free space in your life daily plugs you into God’s indescribable power and love. You now have access to wisdom and resources beyond what you can see.
To your success,
A mentor with a servant’s heart